- Part of a complete system for simplifying and maintaining proper water chemistry in
very small (e.g. “nano”) reef aquaria.
- NanoCode A provides calcium, potassium, and strontium in aragonite ratios, enhanced
magnesium (relative to the aragonite ratios), and non-conservative minor* and trace
elements in natural seawater ratios.
- Used in conjunction with NanoCode B, promotes stable water chemistry and improves
rate of biogenic aragonite formation.
- Contains no phosphate, silicate, or organic material.
Small reef aquaria offer numerous benefits and challenges to their husbandry. Their compact size affords the ability to create a densely-stocked coral and/or sessile invertebrate assemblage for a modest investment of time and resources, equates to a savings in utility bills relative to the requirements of larger systems, and makes placement of a flourishing captive reef biotope into rooms with limited space a simple matter. The primary challenges associated with caring for small reef aquaria are maintaining proper nutrient concentrations and resisting the temptation to overstock, overcrowd, and overfeed the system. Nano-reef aquarists will agree that a primary goal is to encourage the growth of the corals and other reef-building invertebrates being housed, and the relative rates of growth are largely dependant upon the availability of elements such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, and strontium, as well as upon the alkalinity being maintained within the proper range.
Used in conjunction, NanoCode A & B provide the afore-mentioned elements, as well as the molecules forming the basis of alkalinity, in ratios that encourage the production of aragonite. NanoCode A also provides non-conservative minor and trace elements in natural seawater concentrations to help simplify the maintenance of inorganic water chemistry in nano-reef aquaria. Neither NanoCode contains organic components such as vitamins, amino acids, etc., as these should be dosed separately (indiscriminately dosing these substances with a supplement meant to address high-biodemand elements such as calcium, or alkalinity, could lead to overloading the system with latent organic material, causing water quality to suffer; also, the rates of bio-uptake of the organic and inorganic components would need to be equal in order to avoid an overdose).
- Shake product well before using
- Add 5 ml (1 capful) of product per 25 US gallons of aquarium water every other day or as needed to maintain the calcium concentration within a range of 412 - 450 ppm.
- When used in this fashion, 250 ml treats up to 1,250 US gallons (4,732 L). When used in equal amounts with Reef Code B, the calcium and carbonates being added are in the same ratio found in natural seawater.
- Do not mix products in the same container; this will cause the active components to precipitate and become ineffective.
- Allow 60 seconds to pass between dosing Reef Code A and B.
- Determine the calcium concentration in the aquarium using an accurate test kit before supplementing
- Shake this product well before each use.
- Each ml of Brightwell Aquatics Reef Code A will increase the concentration of calcium (“[Ca2+]”) in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by approximately 16 ppm. If the initial [Ca2+] in the aquarium is below 412 ppm, add this product at the maximum rate of 5 ml per 10 US-gallons daily until the desired calcium concentration is attained, then dose daily or weekly as needed (see below).
- Note that each aquarium has different requirements for calcium and carbonates (which largely constitute Alkalinity or Buffering Capacity, hence pH stability); therefore, it is not uncommon for unequal amounts of Reef Code A and B to be required for obtaining and maintaining the desired calcium concentration and alkalinity.
- To determine the daily dosing rate for calcium maintenance: estimate the volume of water in the entire aquarium system; divide the daily decrease in [Ca2+] by 16; multiply this number by the volume of water in the system to get the daily dosage required (ml) to maintain a stable [Ca2+].
CAUTION: May cause eye or skin irritation. Flush with water for 15 minutes if in the eyes, seek medical attention if irritation persists. Keep out of reach of children. Not for human consumption.
Calcium (min) 45,000 ppm
Magnesium (min) 2,250 ppm
Strontium (min) 900 ppm
Potassium (min) 7 ppm
Purified water, chloride and/or sulfate salts of calcium, magnesium, strontium, and potassium, Barium chloride, Sodium metavanadate, Zinc sulfate, Nickel chloride, Chromium chloride, Sodium feredetate, Manganese chloride, Hafnium chloride, Cobalt chloride, Lanthanum chloride, Neodymium chloride, Cerium chloride, Silver chloride, Dysprosium chloride, Gadolinium chloride, Ytterbium chloride, Erbium chloride, Scandium chloride, Samarium chloride, Praseodymium chloride, Holmium chloride, Lutetium chloride, Terbium chloride, Europium chloride, Thulium chloride.